Sunday, August 10, 2014

My Favorite Book 08/10/14

As a person who is not a fan of reading or fiction, I really enjoyed Rick Riordan’s The Lightning Thief. This is where I was introduced to Greek mythology, and this was the first and ONLY time I read without a person forcing me to. The main character, Percy Jackson, was an average twelve year old kid in the beginning of the novel. As an average kid myself, I made a connection with Percy. We were two normal kids enjoying our lives. Suddenly, Percy’s life changed when he found out that he was a Demigod (a child of a deity and a mortal), and that his father was the famous Poseidon. He was not an ordinary person anymore. Instead, he had to attend Demigod camp, where he and his best friends, Annabelle and Grover, were handed a mission to retrieve Zeus’ Lightning Bolt and return it to the gods/goddesses at Mount Olympus to stop a forthcoming war. From this moment on, I did not leave my room until I finished the book. Every child has dreams where the choices they make can result in saving the world, and I was one of them. Accompanied by my best friends, I would march on to fight evil and bring justice to the world. Another reason why I was glued to the book is because of the equipment they used. Percy Jackson was given a silver metallic pen that turned into a blade when pressed. He was also handed a pair of converse shoes that had wings on them. Who would not want to use these? Rick Riordan accomplished his goal of capturing the audience’s connection, as well as mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment